Monday, December 7, 2009

Rain and Fire and Digital Photos


It is finally raining. For some reason, us [relocated] Californians know instinctively that we must have rain...not only for obvious life-sustenance, but to wash this ash into the earth...and still, we wake up to the sound of rain and feel we are robbed of another gorgeous day. Is that ridiculous? I would say, "Yes, it is. We southern Californians are a spoiled lot."

SO I am beginning to think it is time to share some of my ideas with the Outer World. My students have been the only recipients of 20+ years of book structure experimenting, and I think I should expand my horizons. As a result, I am combining my local landscape (yes, here in the foothills) with images of the Station Fire (August-September 2009) into a small book that shows the beauty and necessity of both (I hope).

My daughter asked why I would use my quality art printer for such small images (Epson 2200), when I could easily print them at the local Walgreens. Here is my answer: when you have to specify size and several different images [of that size] on one sheet, there is simply no way to do that on the photo computers at the drug store. It is my experience that you can get down to a wallet size, but then you'd have to settle for only 1 image for an entire sheet of wallet size photos. They aren't going to allow you to pick 6 different images to place on one sheet. Does anyone have a different experience of these "do it yourself drugstores?" The only other option would be to organize your images on one 8.5 x 11 sheet, save it on a CD or a flash drive, and bring it to Kinkos to print it on the paper of your choice. Yes? I have never been truly happy with the color quality at Kinkos, but I am a picky woman about those things.

So with that being said, I shall return to my task of entertaining Mr. Jack Fynn, and then return to this process of bookmaking. Stay dry, and stay tuned for a warmer and drier day. It's inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment