Friday, December 4, 2009

Jack Fynn


The weather has been beautiful the past few days, with only a very thin dusting of ash. HOWEVER, the nights are too chilly for sitting outside under the Live Oaks and throwing clay pots on the wheel. Grandson Jack has been watching me with great enthusiasm during the day. He sits in his walker and observes carefully with eyes of envy. His mom tries to keep him "clean," but that's hard to do with a Granma who plays in the mud, and plays with her pup and horse each day. SO FINALLY, while I am amidst this long, arduous process of working on the plate commission, I decided it was time for Jack to assist me. He sat on my lap for a few minutes watching my hands move over the clay, and then I let him take over (he turned 8 months old last Friday). Jack's technique is very different than mine. He prefers to play double-handed pattycake for plate compression. He is very serious about his work. I just have to keep an eye on his little feet: the more enthusiastic he gets, the more likely he is to stick his feet beneath the spinning wheel!! So after a full session of clay, he reluctantly let his mother scrub his hands (reluctantly is a very kind word....he screamed bloody murder), and then they went in the cabin.

It is very interesting to watch one's grandchild bloom and grow. He is like a happy little scientist who loves to observe, and then get actively involved. I can see him making a mental list as his eyes scan my work room looking for things to get into in the near future. He has started crawling this past week. It took a while. He never was a creeper pulling himself along on his belly. He wanted to be up on his knees, but by golly that little Santa belly weighs a lot and takes brute strength to lift off of the floor!! So now he gets up on all fours, moves his arms forward a bit, digs in with his toes and takes a little froggy hop forward and keeps moving. He loves to practice the act of moving from all fours to a sitting position. He is very self-disciplined about practicing the things he wants to do most! (Very good character building...) He loves "Itsy Bitsy Spider," especially the part when I say "Out comes the sun.." He watches my outstretched arms and gives me the smile of the year every single time. He also likes my version of "There was a little cabin in the woods." He's very interested in hand movements. He likes to watch his own hands carefully while he moves a toy back and forth like a ratchet. He extends a finger and we play "God giving life to Adam" or ET reaching out to the boy's hand!! We enjoy sharing secret hand movements!! Having Jack so close to me has filled a big, empty spot in my life and every day I give thanks for his love and smiles and big heart. He is a special little guy (spoken, I believe, like a true Grammy..).

No comments:

Post a Comment