Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shadow Box Books


When Paul Johnson was in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, he stayed here in my cabin for a few days and worked with my students for two days.  During one of those workshops, he taught us a 4-step shadow box that can be used as a single or as a multiple (no math and no rulers involved!).  You can incorporate drawings, paint, photos, collage, etc..


I have loved those boxes, and have always been amazed at what my students can do with them.  I have decided that I want to put together both a workshop (I shared them with Tamara last night), and also present them to high school students.


Working with a few layers allows you to address the background, mid-ground, and foreground in a very tangible way.  Here are a few results from my recent experiments.  Kudos to Paul.  (P.S. Have no fear, I did make a Valentine with this format; hence, the day!)

1 comment:

  1. Linda, these are so fantastic! I'd heard of Paul Johnson, but I didn't hear about these shadowbox books! What a great idea for a class, and especially for high school students, who are both imaginative and dextrous! They will come up with all kinds of ideas that are 'outside the box' ! HA

    I like these you've made. Very goovy.

    ReplyDelete